The first phase (2012-2016) aims to sustainably increase rice yields in three major granaries by conducting the following activities:
- Assess needs and constraints among farmers and other stakeholders along the value chain and to develop schemes to monitor and evaluate improved rice systems of the IRRC technologies.
- Develop a computational framework (field calculator) for ex ante assessment of integrated, high-yielding, and profitable rice production systems with minimum environmental footprint.
- Use adaptive research in farmers’ fields to develop an iterative process among farmers, extension agents, and relevant rice value-chain partners for testing new cropping systems and technologies.
- Develop novel mechanisms for outreach and scaling out, including farmer participatory videos, business model development, and strengthened market integration of farmers.
- Build the capacity of partners in national agricultural research and extension systems and other stakeholders in the use of the developed tools and methodologies, and in improved crop management technologies.